Saturday, December 3, 2011

So Much to be Thankful For...

For the first time since we have been married, I was in MN for Thanksgiving this year. The past 3 years, we had family come to our house. 2008 was Bud's family, 2009 my mom and sister came, and 2010 my dad came for the long weekend to meet our sweet Claire bear! It was also the first time since we have been married that we have spent this holiday apart, and man, did that bite. I didn't even realize that until the end of the day, when I couldn't figure out why I was in such a funk about the day. Then it dawned on me...I have done seemingly every other holiday/birthdays/anniversary alone, but not Thanksgiving and Christmas. We had been very lucky with being together for so many years, and I know it is my turn.

Claire and I started the day with my mom's side of the family. Keeping with tradition from practically before time, we eat at 1 pm at my Grandma's house. The food was delicious, the kids were adorable, and I did the dishes for (I think) the first time. I'm a big girl now. :)

A few pictures from Grandma Carey's...




Claire opening her ornament from Great-Grandma




5 of the SIX great-grand daughters!


First time in 3 generations (probably more) girls out number boys--


my mom has 4 brothers, I have 7 male cousins (only 3 girls)


and NOW...


6 boys and 5 girls! So fun!!

After that meal, Claire and I went to Bud's Granny's house for dessert. Claire had her first taste of french silk pie and she approved. :)






Then on Friday, we headed to Iowa with my parents to celebrate (and eat) again with my Dad's side of the family. Our weekend was full of food, family and laughs....all the best things in life. :)



Claire got to love on her sweet cousin, Lainey WAY more than Lainey would have liked! Claire is a little obsessed with her, and poor Lainey can't defend herself yet! Claire just couldn't get close enough to her and there is no such thing as too many kisses for sweet Lainey!




She also showed her goofy side in full force, and had the entire room of adults watching her and laughing at her. She is a lot like her daddy some days. :) And, check out the hair on this kid. Totally cracks me up at the end of the day when I pull her pony tails out and it does this.




Like always, there was game time after meal time. Until I was about 13, my grandma didn't have a TV in her house. This lead to lots of creative play, time outside and many, many games of LIFE and paper football. We also still giggle like little kids when my Uncle Bill is around....Aunt Barb always tells us NOT to encourage him, but it is so hard not to! :)



Even though I was missing my husband so incredibly much, I have so much to be thankful for. I like to make lists, so here are my top 5 things that I am thankful for this year.






5--I feel really lucky to own our own house and vehicles, to always have food in the cupboard and clothes on our bodies. In this economy, I understand just how blessed we are to be in the position we are.



4--Our families and friends are awesome. Simple as that.



3--The chance to stay home every day with Claire is something that I will cherish forever and something I am INCREDIBLY thankful for. I am so lucky to be able to spend my days with her!



2--Claire and Lacey are making this deployment much less lonely than the last two. I HATED sleeping alone before, and now with Lacey on the pillow next to me (very spoiled, yes), it isn't as bad. And, Claire is just amazing. Her smile lights up a room, and I am lucky enough to be her mama. You should be jealous. ;)



1--My dear, (sometimes) sweet, (always) sarcastic, AMAZING husband. I tell him this often, but almost everything that I am thankful for wouldn't be possible with out him. He works so hard and gives up so much to not only provide for his family, but protect the nation. He is my hero and my favorite person in the world to be with. I miss him so much it hurts, and I can not wait for May to be here so I can have that sassy man back in my house. I love you, babe!






Hope you all had a great, long Thanksgiving weekend filled with lots of yummy food and precious time with the ones you love!




No comments:

Post a Comment