Sunday, March 17, 2013

William David

Since our little man is one month old today, I figured it was about time I got this post done.  Sorry, folks, but better late than never, right? :)

I made it to my due date weekend still pregnant, which really was no shock to me.  I was fully expecting to be pregnant for a lot longer.  On Saturday, I was able to go get my hair done, got a new phone and did a little shopping (grocery shopping, but still) alone.  It was wonderful.  Then that evening, we got a huge surprise when it started to snow!  Bud and I looked at each other, and I said what we were both thinking--this little guy HAD to be born tonight or tomorrow.  To tell him the rest of his life that he was born when there was snow on the ground would be SO cool!  Very true to our Minnesota roots.  So, we went outside to play, I ran around the yard with Claire and threw around a football with Bud.  Then we came in and I ate some spicy food and did 100 squats.  Seriously.  Went to bed that night holding on to a little hope that I might go into labor, but wasn't so sure.

2 am rolls around and I woke from a dead sleep to contractions 3-5 minutes apart.  I woke Bud up and told him it was go time.  We got Claire dropped off at Jaci's (SO thankful for such wonderful friends that don't mind being woken up at 3 am!!), and headed to the hospital.  I was in real deal labor at this point, and really was wishing the hospital was 5 mins away, not 35.  Bud drove fast, and only got scolded by me twice...once for taking a turn too sharp and the other for going through a bump in the road with out slowing down. :)

Once we got upstairs, I was checked right away and was already at 7 cm.  I was SHOCKED.  I went to the bathroom on my way to my room and my water broke, and I realized this was moving a lot faster than I had thought.  I made sure to tell everyone I came in contact with after that point that I wanted and epidural and I wanted it 5 minutes ago. :)  He was in my room within about 10 minutes and got my epidural in.  After that things are a little bit of a blur--I think it was a little over an hour after we got there that I started pushing...and that took forever.  About 2.5 hours later, at 8:49 am, Will was here!  We decided to name him William David after Bud and my dad....I decided we couldn't go wrong naming him after my two favorite guys!  I have always loved Bud's real name, and since no one ever refers to him as William, it worked.

And as you can see, was making it known that he wanted back in! :)

He just screamed and screamed and screamed.  After I held him for a while with out calming him, I tried putting him chest to chest and immediately he stopped crying.  So, we stayed that way for a while!

Bud was so wonderful the whole time I was in labor.  This was a completely different experience than we had with Claire, and he was amazing.  He really enjoyed the quiet time we had after Will was born--since it was so early it was a while before we had any visitors and we got to soak him in a little bit before we had to share him. :)

Claire was hesitant for just a minute when she got to our room.  Once she saw him, she was immediately smitten, and pretty much hasn't left him alone since. :)  She loves being a big sister, and is a huge helper for me.  

She was SO excited to hold him!  She has sat multiple times just snuggling with him for 15-30 minutes at a time.  She really just can't get enough of him!

Getting ready to go home!  We were so lucky to only have to spend one night in the hospital before we could go home and start our life as a family of 4.  

One of the first things Claire did was grab her book and 'read' to her baby.  I couldn't pass up this picture--the first one of our three 'babies' together at home.  

We are absolutely loving this new little man in our lives, and it's hard to remember what life was like with out him. Both of them have made our transition fairly flawless.  He is pretty easy, and Claire learned very quickly that she just needs to be patient sometimes when I am nursing him, changing him, etc, and she really hasn't skipped a beat.  I am SO thankful for that.  She is just proving what a big girl she is!

I spend a lot of time wondering how I got so lucky....we are so blessed to have two beautiful, healthy children! I am trying really hard to soak up all the sweet memories that have happened in the last month, and not miss anything.  Time goes way too fast!  So, forgive me for the lack of posting and updates and pictures, but snuggles with my babies are way more important. :)

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this and hearing his story again. What a precious baby. You're such a good momma. Enjoy those snuggles.